Thursday, October 29, 2009

Harvest Moon

Last night the moon was so bright it lit up my bedroom. How convenient I thought, because as I looked across the fields I saw the headlights of a dozen tractors. The sun was long past setting, it was around 10 pm, but these guys were still working, also appreciative of the harvest moon.

You see, right now is harvest. Around here harvest is a serious verb. It's crunch time - most of the crops are out of the ground and into the cellars, but the sugar beets are last on the list. What are sugar beets you ask? Well they make sugar...but that's for another blog.

Anyways, it's a rush around here because wet weather is on the way and if the fields get too muddy, the tractors get stuck. Stuck tractors...no more sugar beets...not good! That's why it's so urgent that all the work get finished up. The tractors get diggin' before sun up and aren't finished until after dark. I'm not a real farmer, but I am fascinated with this stuff. Many of my friends are the real deal (i.e. they make their livelihood by it) so I dedicate this post to them and to their lonely families that are anticipating a post-harvest reunion :) I love living in a community that prays for a safe and productive harvest!

FYI, during a "harvest moon" there is less time between sunset and moonrise. Harvest moons were said to help the working farmers bring in their crops. They could continue being productive by moonlight even after the sun had set. thanks wikipedia

No comments: