Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Duckies & Chicks



The duckies and chicks are here! I know I always blog too much info about all this stuff, but how else are all you city folk going to get a country education? Some bloggers oooh and aaah over their kids, but I choose to take a bit of a different route - education of the masses :) I'm proof that anyone can raise an animal thanks to the info provided via the internet.


So we've had the chicks for a week now and I'm amazed at how fast they are growing. They were all fuzz last week, and already they're growing their "big girl" feathers. We have Rhode Island Red hens which will lay a brown egg, and two Araucanas which are known as the "Easter Egg Chicken" because they lay blue/green tinted eggs. Chicks are cute, but I'm really looking forward to when they're hens and can run around my yard (so picturesque!).


The ducklings came today and are much cuter than I expected! One of my neighbors has the same type of duck (Indian Runner) and can't say enough good things about it. They are awesome at eating bugs and are loyal to humans when raised by them (according to her). These Indian Runner ducks are pretty amusing to watch too, they look a bit like a penguin on speed when they run around. I will have to post a video when they get bigger.

No comments: