Thursday, July 3, 2008

"He" found his voice

Earlier this spring I bought a batch of chicks from the farm store. When you order chicks you can pay a little more for the chick-farm people to sort out the hens for you. That way, if you only want hens you only pay for hens. Well it seems that a rooster snuck his way into my batch. We have heard a few cock-a-doodle-dos over the last week, but wondered what was really trying to be said because it sounded something like a teenage boy with a screechy voice. Well this morning I can say I am pretty sure that "she" is a "he". He began crowing at 5:00 am and went non stop until sometime around 5:30 (I lost track). I had to lay in bed and smile because within that time he went from sounding like a boy chicken to a man chicken and seemed to be letting us all know.

What makes a rooster crow at daybreak? Well I googled it and it seems that there aren't really any "expert" opinions on it. Maybe to wake the hens, reestablish territory, or warn predators. They crow at other times during the day too, but its amazing to me how they will consistently crow just as the sun is starting to come up. It's a nice alarm clock.

No comments: