Monday, April 20, 2009

Everything I need to know I learned from my garden

Warmer weather means fewer posts from yours truly. Thankfully spring is starting to stick around and I've been able to get diggin' in the dirt. Months of snow and wind make me forget how therapeutic gardening can be for me. I haven't felt this great in months! Here are a few things worth repeating from last spring's gardening post...

I think every person should grow SOMETHING, even if its a little pot of seeds in the windowsill. Hard work, determination, patience, appreciation, health, science...all fruits of a garden.

Once a skeptic, I am now a huge fan of square foot gardening. If you want to attempt a garden this year, check out this book.
Some of Mel's methods may sound a bit complicated or tedious to begin with, but TRUST ME it will pay off in the long run. In a nutshell, you build a box or buy a container, fill it with a mixture of soil (weed free), and plant your seeds in groups instead of rows. The big benefit is that you have very few weeds to pull, and nice loose soil to harvest from. Even if you only adapt some of the ideas in this book, it will make your garden experience a happy one.
Every year I learn the most from what I didn't do right. What I'm trying to say is don't let your fear of failing keep you from giving it a go. Plant something this year!

No comments: