Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Revisions

I feel my new blogsite deserves some explaining. Bar M U you ask? What on earth is she thinking? Well, after a number of discussions on remaining anonymous in the blogging world, I decided that adding safety precautions couldn't hurt. To understand my new blog title, you need to understand a little about me. I grew up in the middle of the city. The times I spent on my cousin's farm are some of my fondest memories. Later in my life I became determined that I would raise my own kids that way - something about the idea of crops and animals makes me feel so happy. In words, it's hard to paint a picture of my dreams so here are some photos that set the scene...



If you read Sunset magazine you will get the idea of what I'm talking about - those articles about big-city executives leaving the fast lane and buying an old farm somewhere to raise veggies, pick fruit from their orchards, make cheese from their goat's milk and gather eggs from their chickens each morning. If you've seen Pride and Prejudice (with Kiera Knightly) think of the setting of her family's home: ducks and chickens wandering around the yard, laundry out on the line to dry, pigs and cows and draft horses, piles of straw, moss growing on the stone hedges. This is what my dreams are made of. To me, "farm girl" is the nicest compliment.

Finally back to Bar M U, or "baa-ram-ewe" as it's put a little more clearly. I fell in love with the movie, BABE - yes, the one about a pig and a bunch of animals. Something in that movie about the farmer's quiet little life struck me! No, I don't believe in talking animals, but I do believe that my life will be richer if I can have a little farm like that one. So Bar M U is sort of a little catch phrase for my dreams....enjoy as I post their progress.




No comments: