Sunday, December 28, 2008

2008: Wasn't it great?

Welcome to any new visitors via the Christmas Card email -
Leave me a comment and let me know what you've been up to!
As I look back on the year’s highlights it seems like there was my routine pre-third child, and my lack of routine since the baby arrived. I make excuses to myself like “I’m trying not to sweat the small stuff,” or “ I’m just enjoying the baby while he’s little.” With all this said, I didn't get my Christmas cards out this year! I should have known I would regret my lack of organization. With each card I receive in the mail, the guilt sets in. I hope you haven't felt forgotten. I did complete this little blurb for a family newsletter and wanted to share our year in review for any of you that are interested.

please note - because this blog is public and available to anyone's eyes, I try to stay very vague on names and locations :)

Currently the "man of the house" finds himself very happy as the assistant coach for our school's varsity boys basketball team. He's still employed full time in the dairy industry, but squeezes coaching into his free time because he has always wanted to give it a try. The team loves his enthusiasm and is getting more used to his contact style of coaching (most coaches don’t knock the wind out of their players with an enthusiastic pat on the back). Our school is in the 2A division (about 350 kids in the school) and it's fun to see the support the community gives the team. Before basketball started, Mr. K spent his free time tying up loose ends on the house construction and attacking the yard. Most Saturdays were spent on some sort of project outdoors. Our house now looks like a home, well worth all his work. As a dad and husband, Mr> K keeps us on our toes. At the end of dinner he often tosses things (butter, salt, milk jug, etc) from the table to the fridge (where I stand as receiver). Where’s the fun in clearing the table the conventional way? We’ve had just a few messes to clean up and only after the kids tried mimicking dad’s “toss-a-roosky” game. Mr. K also enjoyed adding animals to our place – especially his horse. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him as happy as the weekend this fall when he went horseback riding in Yellowstone.

With a few months under my belt as a mother of three, I’m experiencing a rearrangement of priorities – need to be done vs. not so important anymore. Kids grow too fast and I want to try to enjoy the moments more. I love being home with the kids and feel like I’m learning more from them than they are from me. I’ve found tremendous enjoyment in my year’s creative outlets outside of motherhood – the garden, the animals, working on house projects with "the man", and wasting hours online writing on this blog. It’s also been rewarding to be outside - collecting eggs, throwing hay bales around, or moving sprinkler pipe (a few of the many farm chores). Pulling weeds isn’t so bad either. It’s great therapy when I’m feeling ornery. I’m not sure if it’s the work I like or the fact that our little farm is my dream coming true. I owe Mr. K thanks for all his support as I pursue these hair brained dreams of mine, like the goats and exotic birds, for example. We now have three goats that I hope to start milking in the spring and one guinea fowl that the kids refer to as “the weird bird.” (see older blog posts for photos) A sweet highlight for the year was a trip to Mexico - my first glimpse at life south of the border. I fell in love with the people, the language, and the culture (outside the tourist areas). I even got to practice some Spanish when I got home - we gave tours (English and Spanish) for the openhouse of a new LDS temple. Oh, one other change this year - the birth of our third child meant the retirement of our sedan car. Yes, I drive a mini-van now, and all the emotions associated with this sent me into a mini-mid-life crisis. Thirty is around the corner, and I swore I’d never get to this point so soon.

Our kids’ strong personalities make for violent sibling fights, but thankfully it also produces fierce loyalty for each other. Our 2 year old son's personality has really blossomed this past year – he has quite a sense of humor, seems to have a knack for finding mischief, and knows just what buttons to push to get his sister's reaction. His blanket has been cut into four pieces in hopes that the friendship will eventually dissolve, but with no luck so far. He pulls on his boots and follows us outside to do chores, toting travel-sized blankey with him. Our 4 year old, independent daughter surprised us when baby boy was born. We didn’t expect that she would be too interested in a baby, but has showed mothering instincts and really stepped up to take on extra responsibilities. She feels proud to look after her brothers and is the rule enforcer/cop of the bunch. She is perceptive, curious, and likes to learn, taking it upon herself to inform the rest of us when we are wrong. Baby boy joined us in September and has brought a lot of happiness with his smiley face. If we were to ask the kids what they liked best about this past year they would probably say: a new baby brother, Ramen Noodles, the van, PBS kids, Tiger, Cutie, and Beautiful Lips (their very patient cats), Family Home Evenings (we often chant our lessons), bonus features on dvds (they are pros at navigating with the remote control), and dates with dad.

So there you have our year in review. Feel free to visit older blog posts to see photos or read about other things we've done this past year. Come back and visit again soon.

No comments: